Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Volunteering at Tern

Usually there is one US Fish & Wildlife Service person on Tern with three or four volunteers, to do all of the biological monitoring, maintenance, safety, and enjoying this unique location.  Its a lot of work, sun, wind and bird doo.  But it can also be extremely satisfying. 

Here's from two volunteers:  Sarah Youngren, who volunteered last winter, and is coming back to help me out this winter, on why she volunteers at FFS; and Trish Jackson, on her present experiences on Tern.

Sarah Youngren:

Sarah Youngren on Tern Island, French Frigate Shoals, Spring 2010
 Hi *waves* my name is Sarah Youngren and I have found that migration isn't just for the birds! I spent last winter as a volunteer on Tern, and enjoyed this once in a lifetime experience so much that......I'm coming back for another 6 months!

I was given a formal introduction to the land of the island nesting seabird in July of 2008 while working on a project through the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I finished up my bachelors (Biological Sciences from UAF) in December of that year, and have been living the transient seabird researching field biologist lifestyle ever since (summers in Alaska. winters a bit closer to the equator) and loving every minute of it!  I'm really excited to return to Tern because I feel that I have even more to offer to the year than I did last, have gained greater perspective on the biology and workings of the island. Some time in the not so distant future, I plan on returning to school using the field skills I have gained working on varied projects towards my own masters or phd project!

Trish Jackson:

I have been at Tern Island for over a month now and feel this to be one of the most memorable events of my life.  At times I have the urge to pinch myself thinking this experience is so unlike anything imaginable or explainable.  I've asked my husband to send me a tape recorder so I can capture the most unusual sounds that come from this island.  From the soothing sounds of the surf just outside my bedroom window to the haunting sounds some of the birds make at night and the chatter and squawking of all during the day.  Even though I have much to learn, I have already encountered many new and interesting things since joining this small group who seem just as awe struck as I.  The rest of the world can only attempt to imagine such things as I have experienced.

Trish


Trish Jackson, at Tern Island/French Frigate Shoals, Fall 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts